Thursday, November 27, 2008

The Holidays

People tend to get sentimental during the Holiday season. My phone lights up with new text messages with things like "Its a blessing to know you" or "My life would not be as great without you." Its not a negative thing to read these messages, but I'm not heavy on the holidays; they are more for children than anyone else.
I always ask myself, "why wait until a holiday or special occasion to tell someone how special they are?" It would be much more meaningful if it was done spontaneously. Saying such kind and sentimental things are fine, but to me they are so trite. Even though most people are just being kind when they say such things, for me these comments have a tint of insincerity attached to them. I don't believe that most people intend to be that way. They are simply caught up in the holiday spirit. Its the same as a customer service person saying "have a nice day!" after you checkout. You know its just routine.
But I don't hate the holidays. I guess I'm really just ambivalent anout them. On the positive side, you get to see old friends and family that you haven't seen in years. On the annoying side, you receive all those annoying, sentimental text messages. But its better than not receiving any at all.

J.G.

No comments: